Social Presence Theory was developed by John Short, Edery Williams, and Bruce Christie. It as one of the first communication media theory, and its been a driving force in influencing computer mediated communication. The development of the theory came about in finding differences between face to face and telephone media communication. “According to social presence theory communication is effective if the medium has the appropriate social presence required for the level of interpersonal involvement required for a task.” If you were to grade the amount of social presence on a scale between different mediums, face to face communication would be at the top while written communication would be at the bottom. The ultimate goal of social presence theory is keeping with ones roles while maintaining a relationship.
I strongly believe everyone has many different interpersonal relationships online, especially college students! In order to keep in touch with family and friends that may be at a different school you need to use the different networks on the internet whether it is by using something like facebook, myspace, aim, etc.
I however have a program on my computer that dell offered with my laptop that lets me communicate via web cam and microphone that lets me have more personal relationships with friends and family then just typing emails or instant messages. When I was a freshman at UB my uncle, aunt and cousins had moved to China, where my uncle took a new job. I am very close with them and it was often difficult to keep in contact with them through the phone, mainly because of how expensive is, and the time difference. Therefore we set up something where we would send videos to one another just to say Hi, and what’s new with the family. I didn’t even know you could do something like this until my parents had shown me how…. As I went on through school I started to do this more with other family members and some friends at different schools. It is a much more personal way to communicate than just typing messages to one another, something we had done prior.
I strongly believe everyone has many different interpersonal relationships online, especially college students! In order to keep in touch with family and friends that may be at a different school you need to use the different networks on the internet whether it is by using something like facebook, myspace, aim, etc.
I however have a program on my computer that dell offered with my laptop that lets me communicate via web cam and microphone that lets me have more personal relationships with friends and family then just typing emails or instant messages. When I was a freshman at UB my uncle, aunt and cousins had moved to China, where my uncle took a new job. I am very close with them and it was often difficult to keep in contact with them through the phone, mainly because of how expensive is, and the time difference. Therefore we set up something where we would send videos to one another just to say Hi, and what’s new with the family. I didn’t even know you could do something like this until my parents had shown me how…. As I went on through school I started to do this more with other family members and some friends at different schools. It is a much more personal way to communicate than just typing messages to one another, something we had done prior.
It allowed us to cope a lot more with the distance and the fact that we didn’t see each other as much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/social_presence _theory
Ryan, since my family and friends are in Korea, and I am here, any type of communicative network is very important to me! especially, the instant messaging program! As you said, webcam and audio definitly enhances the effectivenss, rather than just typing.
ReplyDeleteI too believe that webcam and messaging is an important part of my interactive life with my parents, this way we can keep update with each others life more often. Examples are skype and vopi raider, where calling and video calling is possible.
ReplyDelete